A lot of moms become on the verge of anxiousness and worrisome before they step into the world of the motherhood; especially when it’s their first born. But just like anything else; motherhood with a little beforehand preparation can become less scary and a little bit less intimidating. We, humans, fear what we don’t know. Thus, your best weapon for fighting into this life-long battle is knowledge and knowing what your life will look like. The more you know, the less surprised you’ll be, and therefore, the more manageable it gets.
Now, there is no secret recipe or steps to be a good mom. Actually, it’s so different from a mom to another and even from a baby to another. You might have seen your mom do it and maybe succeeding at doing it, but your own experience will be so much different. And you’ll be naturally learning on your own every single day. The most important thing is to have a developing mindset and an open mind to try different methods and techniques.
Following are a few steps to help you prepare to be a mom:
Get your body ready to host the baby:
This step particularly applies when you’re planning to have a baby. You need to be physically and mentally ready for this step. It’s recommended to give your doctor a visit to do a full body exam to make sure you’re in the right physical and mental health to produce and carry another human being inside of you. Exercising and a good diet are vital for a good healthy body for the mom to have a healthy baby. Also, make sure to be open on how you feel with your partner about what you might expect from him throughout and after the pregnancy. If you already found out you’re pregnant and haven’t prepared yourself beforehand, that’s no problem, just make sure to talk to your doctor about your concerns and make sure you stay on the right track till the end of pregnancy.
Ease Into It:
You might find yourself overwhelmed with the amount of thing you’ll have to do; however, it’s just a matter of creating habits. Everyday try something new from the following list and don’t push yourself too hard; it all will happen naturally.
- Prepare your birth plan in which you clarify what’s essential to you while you're giving birth and wall what you wish for in your experience.
- Joining childbirth awareness classes are a brilliant opportunity for first-time parents and a valuable update for those who have previously undergone birth and parenting.
- Find an adult to take care of you and your other children at least q couple of weeks after giving birth.
- Prepare alternative care arrangements in case your infant arrives sooner or later than planned.
- Finding any rest may be tough. Sleep while your kid does, if at all necessary.
- Buy yourself some comfortable maternity clothes, nursing clothes, and some practical baby clothes for your newborn for at least the first 4 months of age; considering the weather your due date is in. Learn more here.
- Read or watch stuff that make you feel good about your coming birth and delivery.
- Be assertive on what you want and what you don’t; say “no” to others and express your feelings and put your mental health first.
Let Nature Do Its Part:
Having a baby is one of the most beautiful natural experiences you might ever have. It’s is too the toughest job in the world. But once you become a mom, you can never be fully prepared. Yet, nature will do its part.